What we do at Codat
Our mission is to make life easier for the lifeblood of economies globally; small and medium-sized businesses. Codat is a universal API for consented business financial data, powering the next generation of products and services for this historically underserved market.
We have offices in London and New York, and a San Francisco office will be opening soon. We are a privately held company, and have recently closed our Series B funding and are funded by Index Ventures, Tiger Global, American Express, PayPal and a line-up of world-class angel investors.
We live by our values of being united as a single team, building a product that is useful to our clients and their customers alike, with a focus and urgency that makes us unstoppable.
What we’re up to right now
Our teams are currently focusing on:
- Building high coverage for Codat's API across third-party software platforms. This includes building new data formats and sources into our financial data standard.
- Reliably and quickly processing huge amounts of financial data into our data cache and query engine.
- Building additional products on top of our core API to unlock the power of our clients' data, through the movement of data between sources, data visualisation, or insights.
- Best in class monitoring and operations tools to allow both ourselves and our clients to find, and fix, data issues early.
What you will be doing
Our system is entirely hosted on Microsoft's Azure cloud platform, and is built on modern .NET Core, utilising the latest .NET features. Our system is service-based, and leverages Azure Service Bus, Azure Storage, and SQL Server to ingest and process large amounts of data reliably and efficiently.
Our engineers operate in small, focused, multidisciplinary, and highly autonomous teams of around 4 to 6 people. Our teams tend to include:
- A hands-on Lead Engineer who spends time focusing on product alignment, technical alignment, and people, as well as coding.
- A QA Engineer who represents quality throughout the team and encourages critical thinking as well as supporting automation.
- Software Engineers who help with business analysis, writing tests and code, and operating the components that the team owns.
- Other specialists will sometimes join a team for certain work. If the team is planning on building a UI heavy feature, they might borrow a UI specialist for some time, for either design or some implementation. We have a team of platform engineers that also might get involved early on with a new feature, or during a scale activity, they might be a DBA or an SRE that can make sure that the team is building something they can support and run in production successfully.
All our engineers have end-to-end responsibility. They’re involved from early on in the product design process all the way through to monitoring and operation. With this responsibility comes trust. Our engineers are empowered to use the best tool for the job. We encourage engineers to be innovative, always thinking about the best ways to give value to our clients.
Our teams are always finding ways to make themselves more agile, and most teams use a “Scrumban” style of work, stand-ups, retrospectives, planning, and refining. Teams move rapidly, releasing at least once a day. We practise continuous integration and testing, and sometimes continuous delivery. Testing is very important to our process, and we strive for high levels of unit and end-to-end test coverage. This is helping us work towards our goal of continuous flow.
No matter what we are doing, whether we’re speaking to customers, partners or to each other, we try at all times to live by our values:
We believe in delivering technology that solves real problems for real businesses. We have a real want to do the stuff that isn't always sexy but makes a difference.
We believe that the people in the best teams push and enable each other to excel. We have each other’s back - when things go wrong, there isn't blame, we work together to fix it. We embrace differences of opinion to end up with an even better outcome - not letting our egos win.
We believe that constant drive towards a single, clearly stated goal is the primary method of building great things. We are biased towards action - our decisions are informed and then we act. There is no such thing as a hard problem - it is how we outperform others.
What excites us
- We use a mix of technologies at Codat, but most are services supplied by Azure. A deep understanding of the Azure data offerings for MS SQL is really important to us. We really like data minded DBAs who also are interested in other storage technologies like Azure Table and Blob storage.
- Our apps work extensively with the Azure serverless architecture, and we are moving towards a serverless architecture, a DevOps way of thinking is really important to us in our platform team.
- Clear and concise communicators; we expect Engineers to collaborate with other team members, including developers, quality assurance engineers and product stakeholders outside of Engineering. We really like platform engineers that like to collaborate with other engineering teams on operational concerns early in the process.
- We have a passion for observability and monitoring, as a member of the platform team, ensuring that the feature teams running components have the best tooling for monitoring and alerting themselves is something we are passionate about.
- We really like engineers that are self-motivated, have a logical and systematic approach to problems solving, but understand things work best when we work as a team, are approachable, open minded, and patient.
- At Codat we handle huge volumes of sensitive data, we are processing terabytes of information daily to systems that need to respond to changes incredibly quickly. We are always trying to ensure that are architecture stays a few beats before our scale and our use of the system provides the performance our clients expect.