Engineering Manager - Data Insights
What we do at Codat
Our mission is to make life easier for the lifeblood of economies globally; small and medium-sized businesses. Codat is a universal API for consented business financial data, powering the next generation of products and services for this historically underserved market.
We have offices in London, New York, Sydney, and a San Francisco office will be opening soon. We are a privately held company and have recently closed our Series B, being funded by Index Ventures, Tiger Global, American Express, PayPal and a line-up of world-class angel investors.
We live by our values of being united as a single team, building a product that is useful to our clients and their customers alike, with a focus and urgency that makes us unstoppable.
What you will be doing
As an Engineering Manager you will be leading our Data group. This group is made up of multiple engineering teams and the duty of an Engineering Manager is to progress the competence of the members of the teams you manage and the systems they operate. This is done through a combination of development planning, capacity planning, line management of feature team managers, and facilitating the team within the engineering process. As a senior engineer you will also be involved in technical feasibility and architectural design work for Data group products. You are also accountable for the KPI metrics that we gather within engineering, we use the DORA accelerate numbers as a baseline and are currently running an elite process.
Our system is entirely hosted on Microsoft's Azure cloud platform, and is built on modern .NET Core, utilising the latest .NET features. Our system is service-based, and leverages Azure Service Bus, Azure Storage, and Azure SQL Server to ingest and process large amounts of data reliably and efficiently. The Data Scientists in the Data group however use python as their principal tool.
Our feature teams operate as small, focused, multidisciplinary, and highly autonomous groups of around 4 to 6 people. These teams tend to include:
- A hands-on Lead Engineer who spends time focusing on product alignment, technical alignment, and people, as well as coding.
- A QA Engineer who represents quality throughout the team and encourages critical thinking as well as supporting automation.
- Software Engineers who help with business analysis, writing tests and code, and operating the components that the team owns.
- We also will have Business Analysts and Designers attached to teams wherever that might be needed for the products the team owns.
The product group also has a team devoted to the product platform and enabling the feature teams. This platform team contains SREs, Principal Engineers, and Principal QAs, that are deployed by the Engineering Manager to accelerate feature work, where necessary, and ensure technical excellence and build policies through governance as code. This group will also report directly to you.
About the Data Group:
Our Data Group looks after our Insights product range. This is brand new, and it is the first of its kind at Codat. Our product to date has focused on surfacing data in a standardised way, insights focus on taking that data and deriving key patterns to make it actionable for our client base and you will be helping to grow this product, carve out its market fit and make it successful part of the Codat product suite.
We’re building the world’s first unified business data API that conforms to a standardised data model, making it exceptionally easy for our clients to ingest this data. We believe that there is a massive opportunity to use this data to build a set of insights. You have the chance to shape what our insights product range looks like now and in the future, whilst creating a high performing team to assist you.
No matter what we’re doing - whether we’re speaking to customers, partners or to each other - we live by our values.
We believe in delivering useful technology that solves real problems for real businesses. We have a real want to do the stuff that isn't always “cool” but makes a difference.
We believe that the people in the best teams push and enable each other to excel. We’re united when we have each other’s backs - when something goes wrong, we don’t blame, we work together to fix it. We embrace differences of opinion to end up with better outcomes. We don’t let our egos win.
We believe that an unstoppable drive towards a single, clearly stated goal is the best way to build great things. We are biased towards action - we make informed decisions and then we act. There is no such thing as an impossible problem, just a great challenge to sink our teeth into.
What excites us
- You are a proven leader of Engineering teams, ideally with experience managing Data Scientists and Software Engineers.
- You are a confident C# Engineer, happy to step into technical challenges and provide advice and guidance.
- Passion for the success of your team and looking after their learning, mentoring, and achieving their goals.
- Wanting to work as a team and support your other Engineering Managers as well as the wider business to achieve success.
- We use a mix of technologies at Codat, but most are services supplied by Azure and leveraged using C#, we like engineers that like to keep up to date with C# and have an interest in design patterns.
- Our apps work extensively with the .NET web stack and knowledge of ASP.NET and REST APIs is really helpful.
- We have a passion for testing and working with frameworks like XUnit (or similar) to do behaviour and data driven unit tests.
- A lot of the problems we solve at Codat are about standardising data from various sources, this is a different set of problems to many software businesses, and we really like engineers who enjoy working with data and puzzling out problems that may not be obviously solved. A good head for financial systems helps but isn’t necessary.
If you are excited about applying for this role but aren't certain you meet 100% of the criteria, we'd still love to hear from you