Engineering Manager (Offline Integrations)
What we do at Codat
Our mission is to make life easier for small and medium sized businesses, the backbone of our global economy.
We do that by working with fintech companies and financial institutions to help them connect into the systems their small business customers use. With this connectivity, our clients are building next generation products to take the friction out of running a small business, from business management software to alternative lending and corporate cards.
Codat is a Series C-funded company, backed by some of the leading investors and most successful tech companies in the world, including J.P. Morgan, Shopify, Plaid, PayPal Ventures, Amex Ventures, Index Ventures and Tiger Global. We have offices in London, New York, Sydney.
We live by our values of being united as a single team, building a product that is useful to our clients and their customers alike, and bringing a focus and urgency to our work that makes us unstoppable.
What you will be doing
As an Engineering Manager you will be working in our Integrations group. This group is the largest engineering group at Codat – it is currently made up of eight engineering teams, with new teams being added every month. The duty of an Engineering Manager is to progress the competence of the members of the teams you manage and the systems they operate. This is done through a combination of development planning, capacity planning, line management of feature team managers, and facilitating the team within the engineering process. You will be actively involved in hiring processes, participating in interviews and org chart planning to support the growth of the Integrations team. As a senior engineer you will also be involved in technical feasibility and architectural design work for new integrations your teams build. You are also accountable for the KPI metrics that we gather within engineering, we use the DORA accelerate numbers as a baseline and are currently running an elite process.
Our server side system is entirely hosted on Microsoft's Azure cloud platform, and is built on modern .NET Core, utilising the latest .NET features. Our system is service-based, and leverages Azure Service Bus, Azure Storage, and Azure SQL Server to ingest and process large amounts of data reliably and efficiently. We also build integrations to software that is hosted by the end user, this can be on the personal laptop of a sole trader, or a blade server in a large enterprise’s data center. We use the latest .NET with Windows Services and WPF front-ends in a client-server format, using IoT design patterns to ensure connectivity to these systems.
Our feature teams operate as small, focused, multidisciplinary, and highly autonomous squads of around 4 to 6 people. These teams tend to include:
- A hands-on Lead Engineer who spends time focusing on product alignment, technical alignment, and people, as well as coding.
- A QA Engineer who represents quality throughout the team and encourages critical thinking as well as supporting automation.
- Software Engineers who help with business analysis, write tests and code, and operate the components that the team owns.
- Business Analysts and Designers are attached to teams wherever that might be needed for the products the team owns.
The product group also has a team devoted to the product platform and enabling the feature teams. This platform team contains SREs, Principal Engineers, and Principal QAs, that are deployed by the Engineering Managers to accelerate feature work, where necessary, and ensure technical excellence and build policies through governance as code.
About the Integrations Group:
Our Integrations Group builds and maintains Codat’s many integrations with financial software, the bedrock of our product. The offline integrations represent a core strategic component of this mission, they are the hardest to build, and represent the highest value to our clients. The group consists of a number of autonomous teams of three to five developers and a QA whose focus is to develop and maintain a subset of Integrations. The teams are empowered to prioritise, plan and deliver business objectives with the aid of a Product Owner and one or more Business Analysts. Each offline integration consists of multiple services that run on the target machine, fetching data and communicating with web services responsible for mapping that data and controlling the hosted components remotely. The knowledge of reliable application deployment to these desktop and data center environments, along with financial data and analytical thinking are essential for us to remain the best in class at solving this hard problem.
What excites us
- You are a proven leader of Engineering teams, ideally with experience managing teams that specialise in API integrations.
- You are a confident C# Engineer, happy to step into technical challenges and provide advice and guidance.
- Passion for the success of your team and looking after their learning, mentoring, and achieving their goals.
- Wanting to work as a team and support your other Engineering Managers as well as the wider business to achieve success.
- We use a mix of technologies at Codat, but most are services supplied by Azure and leveraged using C#, we like engineers that like to keep up to date with C# and have an interest in design patterns.
- Our apps work extensively with the .NET web stack and knowledge of ASP.NET and REST APIs is really helpful.
- We have a passion for testing and working with frameworks like XUnit (or similar) to do behaviour and data driven unit tests.
- A lot of the problems we solve at Codat are about standardising data from various sources, this is a different set of problems to many software businesses, and we really like engineers who enjoy working with data and puzzling out problems that may not be obviously solved. A good head for financial systems helps but isn’t necessary.
£130,000-£155,000 / year
If you are excited about applying for this role but aren't certain you meet 100% of the criteria, we'd still love to hear from you