Site Reliability Engineer
What we do at Codat
Codat is a fast-growing technology company headquartered in Clerkenwell, Central London. Our product is a universal API for small business financial data.
We build developer-friendly infrastructure that gives businesses the ability to create their own next-generation products without sacrificing time to market. We are well-funded with a large and growing number of enterprise and fintech clients.
We’ve most recently received a $10 million investment from Index Ventures, a leading global venture capital firm. We were also awarded a £5m grant from the RBS Capability and Innovation Fund last year to help power our growth with a focus on expansion into the US.
What we’re up to right now
Our teams are currently focusing on:
- Building high coverage for Codat's API across third-party software platforms. This includes building new data formats and sources into our financial data standard.
- Reliably and quickly processing huge amounts of financial data into our data cache and query engine.
- Building additional products on top of our core API to unlock the power of our clients' data, through the movement of data between sources, data visualisation, or insights.
- Best in class monitoring and operations tools to allow both ourselves and our clients to find, and fix, data issues early.
What you will be doing
Our system is entirely hosted on Microsoft's Azure cloud platform, and is built on modern .NET Core, utilising the latest .NET features. Our system is service-based, and leverages Azure Service Bus, Azure Storage, and SQL Server to ingest and process large amounts of data reliably and efficiently.
Our engineers operate in small, focused, multidisciplinary, and highly autonomous teams of around 4 to 6 people. Our teams tend to include:
- A hands-on Lead Engineer who spends time focusing on product alignment, technical alignment, and people, as well as coding.
- A QA Engineer who represents quality throughout the team and encourages critical thinking as well as supporting automation.
- Software Engineers who help with business analysis, writing tests and code, and operating the components that the team owns.
- Other specialists will sometimes join a team for certain work. If the team is planning on building a UI heavy feature, they might borrow a UI specialist for some time, for either design or some implementation. We have a team of platform engineers that also might get involved early on with a new feature, or during a scale activity, they might be a DBA or an SRE that can make sure that the team is building something they can support and run in production successfully.
All our engineers have end-to-end responsibility. They’re involved from early on in the product design process all the way through to monitoring and operation. With this responsibility comes trust. Our engineers are empowered to use the best tool for the job. We encourage engineers to be innovative, always thinking about the best ways to give value to our clients.
Our teams are always finding ways to make themselves more agile, and most teams use a “Scrumban” style of work, stand-ups, retrospectives, planning, and refining. Teams move rapidly, releasing at least once a day. We practise continuous integration and testing, and sometimes continuous delivery. Testing is very important to our process, and we strive for high levels of unit and end-to-end test coverage. This is helping us work towards our goal of continuous flow.
No matter what we’re doing - whether we’re speaking to customers, partners or to each other - we live by our values.
We believe in delivering useful technology that solves real problems for real businesses. We are passionate about doing the stuff that isn't always “cool” but makes a big difference.
We believe that the people in the best teams push and enable each other to excel. We’re united when we have each other’s backs, hold each other to account, and support each other in learning - when something goes wrong, we don’t blame, we work together to fix it. We embrace differences of opinion to end up with better outcomes. We don’t let our egos win.
We believe that an unstoppable drive towards clearly stated goals is the best way to build great things. We are biased towards action - we make informed decisions, we share our ideas, and then we act. There is no such thing as an impossible problem, just a great challenge to sink our teeth into.
What excites us:
- We use a mix of technologies at Codat, but most are services supplied by Azure and leveraged using C#, we like platform engineers that have an interest in good design for tooling in a .NET environment.
- Our apps work extensively with the .NET web stack and knowledge of NET and REST APIs is really helpful, as well as Azure offerings for serverless architecture.
- Clear and concise communicators; we expect Engineers to collaborate with other team members, including developers, quality assurance engineers and product stakeholders outside of Engineering. We really like platform engineers that like to collaborate with other engineering teams on operational concerns early in the process.
- We have a passion for testing and working with frameworks like XUnit (or similar) to do behaviour and data driven unit tests and expect our engineers to have an active hand in developing integration tests with our quality assurance engineers.
- We really like engineers that are self-motivated, have a logical and systematic approach to problems solving, but understand things work best when we work as a team, are approachable, open minded, and patient.
- At Codat we handle huge volumes of sensitive data, and we are currently logging over 2 billion trace events every week, we really like platform engineers who are excited by these scale problems and think in terms of security first.